A Retail Store Manager, or Shop Manager, is responsible for facilitating and supervising daily operations at a store to make sure that employees work together effectively to make sales and contribute to shop upkeep. Their duties include communicating with vendors about inventory orders, scheduling employee shifts and training new employees.
- Supervise, train and assist employees like Sales Representatives and Retail Store Clerks in customer service, store maintenance and product promotions.
- Develop and maintain a schedule for employees and promotions centered on holiday sales and other cycles.
- Seek ways to better promote the store, the product line and service within the store.
- Maintain proper inventory levels, ensure stocking, implement purchasing plans and maintain contact with suppliers to ensure maximum efficiency in meeting sales goals.
- Implement cross-training of employees and Assistant Managers to always maintain productivity.
- Manage all controllable costs with a view to maintaining profitability.
- Ensure the store always remains clean and presentable.
- Hire and train as needed to ensure adequate personnel is on hand to provide outstanding customer service.